Sunday, May 28, 2006

Day 15...some frivolous thoughts

After a quick update on what I've been up to, I thought I'd share some UK tidbits.

So, the Chelsea Flower Show was phenomenal. I really want a garden now. (And also a house and a backyard in which to put the garden.) Apart from that, I've been work, work, working. I'll spare you those details. I think this afternoon I may try to do some more exploring in my neighborhood, in an effort to feel like I really have a "place" of my own in the city.

Now, some strange things I've noticed:

(1) There are potato chips here in basically every flavor you can think of. I myself just enjoyed(?) a bag of Roast Chicken potato chips. Surprisingly, they actually did taste just like chicken. The other flavors (which you'll see listed on the previous link to the far left) sound even more bizarre...like Lamb & Mint or Heinz Tomato Ketchup. This reminds me of the Jones Soda holiday pack of assorted sodas flavored like items from a traditional Thanksgiving meal. I understand that was TERRIBLE.

(2) In the ladies room at the cinema, there was a vending machine selling "chewable toothbrushes". And, folks, this isn't gum. It's actually a little TOOTHBRUSH that you chew until your teeth feel clean. Check out the link. Weird stuff.

(3) There's a fantastic array of ethnic restaurants here, but many of the ones I've tried so far appear to have toned down both spice and flavor to a disappointing level. Perhaps to accomodate the English palate? Anybody know either (i) why this is, or (ii) how I can convince them to kick it up a notch?

5 Comments:

At 12:33 PM, Blogger Michael A. Seidman said...

Regarding spices, I find that weird - I actually found Indian and Thai were MORE flavorable (or at least very different) in UK. Chinese is admittedly thin. Italian there tends to be okay. What were the disappointments?

As for getting them to change, you can't - customer service seems to be a uniquely American thing. Apparently the British, and maybe all of Europe, are happy being unhappy. Thoughts from Europeans?

 
At 4:27 PM, Blogger jess. said...

My disappointments so far came from precisely the cuisines you mentioned. Thai and Indian. Amazing. And good indian food is half my reason for coming to London in the first place! ;-) I'm promised by some associates that I'll be taken to a couple good places before the summer is out. I'll keep you updated!

 
At 10:35 AM, Blogger Michael A. Seidman said...

Perhaps you just stink at choosing restaurants? Otherwise, maybe London is sufferring from the same phenomenon as NYC where all the good/original proprietors have sold and moved on, and the new owners can't make good food? I suspect the reason is too many Big Macs.

On that note, have you tried a UK Big Mac yet? They taste the same, but the sizes are MUCH more precise...notice that the soda will be filled to a precise point and not topped off!

 
At 2:27 PM, Blogger Maria said...

I just want to say, don't eat those Walker's Prawn Coctail chips, they are so nasty. Or monster munch. ew. Moray is obsessed with it. However, DO bring me back a flake bar! Yum! Also, my fave thing about London was the Cadbury's vending machines in the underground. can you imagine creme eggs in a nyc subway?

 
At 11:12 AM, Blogger jess. said...

Maria!! It's so nice to see you in my little piece of cyber-space! I'm not sure I have the right email address for you, but I did try to write you before I left for London.

I LOVE the Cadbury's vending machines. They have cream egg candy bars now. Soooooo good. It's like Easter all year round. Can't wait to see you when I get back to NYC in July. Was I right in remembering you and Moray would be over here sometime this summer?

 

Post a Comment

<< Home