Sunday, May 21, 2006

Day 8...in an internet cafe

there's no wireless in my apartment! so i'm sitting in an internet cafe until i can lay my hands on some ethernet cable and get back to life as usual. please excuse the lack of capital letters, as this keyboard seems only some of the time to want to recognize the shift key. London is great! there are so many british people here! so far, i've spent the bulk of my time unpacking and settling in, along with sleeping at all the wrong hours, despite attempts to force myself into this time zone.

on my first day here, i couldn't get into my apartment for several hours after i arrived, which was pretty annoying since i hadn't slept a wink on the plane and was dead tired and not in the mood to have my first exploration. so, like any good american, i found the nearest starbucks and sat with my book until i could move in. i finished all of The DaVinci Code.

yesterday, i went out exploring a bit...got my tube pass, walked around in a bunch of cool neighborhoods the names of which i can't tell you because my map is in my apartment (or "flat"!!). as expected, the indian food here is fantastic.

what i'm especially excited about today is that i live just a few blocks from Portobello Road (of Bedknobs and Broomsticks song fame) which is home to a great market every weekend, including the famous antique market, along with a flea market and (what i'm most excited about) a farmers' market!

now i'm off to continue in what appears to be a never-ending quest for a raincoat. you'd think they'd sell them on every street corner here, but what i keep hearing is "it's not the right season." could have fooled me...looks very much like rainy season from where i'm sitting. wish me luck and leave me comments!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home