Thursday, May 18, 2006

Day 5...greetings from JFK

So much has happened already! I'll try not to bore with the highlights. I'm posting from the "international" terminal of JFK airport. It's only kind of international...American Airlines recently moved their London and Brussels departures from the *real* international terminal to their domestic terminal. Goodness knows why. No good food here...no duty free shop here... All around crummy. I'm trying to bask in the leftover glow from 5 days at the Ritz Carlton at Battery Park.

I arrived in New York on Saturday evening after a terrible flight. My little propeller plane nearly fell out of the sky. We vertically dropped several hundred feet, to the sounds of a confused pilot, a terror-stricken stewardess, and drinks hitting the ceiling. We eventually landed, and everything has been busy, but hectic, since. I met up with two of my best friends at my hotel, where we enjoyed the best martinis the City has to offer, along with some really yummy food and wine. My friends helped me pick out my outfit for the first day of work, which felt unsurprisingly like the first day of school. I realized that I had managed to pack 10 (that's TEN) pair of black shoes, one pair of tennies, one pair of green flip-flops and nothing else. Today I finally found a decent deal on a pair of brown shoes, which should make dressing a bit easier.

Work has been simply three days of orientation. My associate class seems very nice and interesting. There are 8 Canadians in our company, and several folks from other countries. We were stuffed full of yummy foods for lunches and breakfasts, catered in by the firm, and had a couple of fun events in the evenings. Monday night we went to A Taste of Wall Street, which was an event showcasing tastings from the menus of 50+ downtown restaurants, held on the top floor of the newly rebuilt 7 World Trade Center. Tuesday night the firm treated us to a welcome reception at a fun little pub near the office. Today I got myself a haircut and wrapped up the last of my pre-flight errands.

I think that does it for now. I'll try to post more often so posts will be both shorter and more action-packed. Next stop: my apartment in London!

2 Comments:

At 10:56 PM, Blogger Michael A. Seidman said...

Okay, I'm pretty sure you've been on the computer in the UK, so there should be another posting by now. Something about snogging, or fish 'n' chips, or downing a pint, or something! Get on with it, mate!

 
At 11:26 AM, Blogger jess. said...

I will put in my very best effort to post about "snogging", "fish 'n' chips" and "downing a pint" very soon. Perhaps even all in one post! One question first--What's snogging?

 

Post a Comment

<< Home